- Chemical / Petrochemical
- Acetic Acid
MOGAS Hastelloy® valves with PEEK seats combat high corrosion and high-pressure steam in acetic acid applications.
Acetic acid, also known as ethanoic acid, or glacial acetic acid when undiluted, is a colorless liquid organic compound with a distinctive sour taste and pungent smell. Although it is classified as a weak acid, when concentrated it is corrosive and can attack the skin.
Typical Operating Conditions:
It is used in the production of vinyl acetate monomer, commonly known as wood glue, white glue, carpenter’s glue, school glue, Elmer’s glue in the US, or PVA glue. A diluted solution of about 5% by volume of acetic acid produced by fermentation and oxidation of natural carbohydrates produces vinegar.
Converting acetic acid to a product involves the carbonylation of methanol using a rhodium metal iodide complex ion as catalyst, which is an expensive catalyst.
For over 30 years, MOGAS has supplied 1-inch through 4-inch ASME 600 Class Hastelloy C-Series valves with PEEK seats in this application. The larger 4-inch valves are used in the most critical service to isolate the reactors. Due to our performance in this service, MOGAS has replaced many of the competitors valves and is the preferred valve choice at a major global specialty chemical company.
- Moderate temperature
- 25 – 450° F (-4 – 232° C)
- Moderate pressure
- 25 – 950 psig (1.7 – 65.5 bar g)
- Very corrosive compounds
- High-pressure steam
Acetic Acid Process Flow Diagram
- Fresh Methanol Feed
- Split Methanol Feed
- Low Pressure Absorber Methanol
- Methanol Reactor Feed
- Fresh Carbon Monoxide Feed
- Fresh Make-up Catalyst Feed
- Recycle Catalyst
- Acetic Acid Reactor
- Acetic Acid Flash Vaporizer
- Acetic Acid Dehydration Column
- Acetic Acid Finishing Column
- Reactor Overhead
- High Pressure Absorber Overhead
- Low Pressure Overhead
- Flash Vaporizer Recycle Catalyst
- Dehydration Column Recycle Catalyst Heavies
- Dehydration Column Recycle Catalyst Lights
- Finishing Column Overhead
- Finishing Column Heavies
- Heat Exchanger (not shown)
- General Ball Valves (not shown)